Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sid the Kid's Thirsty

After the game Monday night, someone posted a note on my blog mentioning a new addition to the men's rooms at Verizon Center - in each urinal someone had placed a little picture of Sidney Crosby saying "I'm Thirsty".

Now, I'm not really one for toilet humor - (drum fill) thank you, I'll be here all week - but I have to admit I laughed when I saw that.

I know there are people out there who are reading this and shaking their heads, wondering when we became so tasteless, so vulgar, so like, for example, Philly fans...or so sayeth “Hockey Fan”, who made such a comment on Ted’s blog yesterday. With all due respect, folks, lighten up. It’s a game, and part of the fun is being able to direct some good-natured ribbing at the other team, whatever form that may take.

(And at least we don’t chant “Here we go, Redskins, here we go” at hockey games; that will forever separate us from Philly...)

So far the reaction I’ve gotten when I’ve mentioned it has been “ew!” – which is then immediately followed by uncontrollable laughter. Go figure.

Anyways, I was wondering who was behind this lovely little homage to Sid the Kid when lo and behold, I got an e-mail from Neil C. – the urinal bandit himself. He's been making the Caps' blogger rounds spreading the word of this new tradition he started for every Pittsburgh visit to DC. Feedback has been good, and our other local bloggers have shown the love. Even Dan Steinberg and our local Caps fan celebrities got a chuckle out of it.


Apparently people enjoy, er, aiming for the stars...

I'll jump on the bandwagon and add my voice to the handful that have spoken. The consensus? Pretty darn funny, Neil – well done!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, no.
Flyer fans attack verbally what you attempted was sophmoric at best. Not worthy of the talent
you have in Alexander Ovechkin.

CapsChick said...

Well, good. I was hoping anonymous would weigh in here at some point with an erudite comment just like this.

Two things:
1) The person responsible apparently has done this with a variety of Pittsburgh players and just happened to select Sid the Kid this time around. As I understand it, this has nothing to do with Ovechkin, so you're right - this is not worthy of a talent like his.

2) Sophomoric has an 'o'...I'm just sayin'.

Incidentally, I think this is much less harmless than "attacking verbally" as you put it - this is good old-fashioned potty humor, as opposed to the multiple four-letter words shouted by Philly fans (and others)...usually in the vicinity of children.

But sure - if I was a parent I'd much rather my kid hear an F-bomb or two than see a silly picture in a urinal.

FS said...

Thank god we just put a picture in a urinal. Most of the other fans that come in here do more upscale types of things like throw beer bottles at people.

Victor said...

That was me who made the comment (*snif* you didn't remember!) and I have a cell-phone picture, if you'd like to see it.

Tho I would understand if you didn't.

CapsChick said...

Victor: I know it was you, I wouldn't forget :)...and no, I don't need to see a picture, but thanks for offering. Actually I was told I should poke my head into the men's room to see them next time the Penguins are in town.

I think I'll pass on that one, too.