I've mentioned it in passing and I've ranted about it before, but I am now kicking off my official campaign to:
"Get Zubrus in the All-Star Game"
My goal is to get all Caps bloggers (and maybe just some good hockey fans) on board with me and mention this on their blogs - we're going to canvas the Caps-fan population with our message!
Great minds think alike: Random Reality Thoughts
I know there have been many people over the past year who have questioned whether Zubie belongs on the top line with Ovechkin, but I think after the way this season has started everyone can put those questions out of their minds.
If you still have any doubts, then let's just look at the facts:
- He is tied for the team lead with 12 goals, only 3 behind the league leader Marian Hossa. That equals his production for the entire 2003-04 season and is already more than half of his career mark of 23 set last year. Don't forget that those 12 goals have come on only 39 shots, which gives him an absolutely ridiculous shooting % - basically, he may not shoot a lot but who cares when the shots he takes go in?
- He has been a key reason that both Ovechkin and Semin (who hopefully will snap out of his current goal drought soon) have adjusted so well to playing in the NHL over the last season.
- He is defensively responsible, taking the body more times than I can count and insuring that Ovechkin can gain the zone relatively unobstructed.
- He has become a fantastic quarterback for plays, setting up behind or to the side of the opposition's net and either making a beautiful pass or providing an outlet for a beautiful pass.
- As a converted winger, he has done surprisingly well in the faceoff circle, winning exactly 50% of his draws so far.
- 5 of his goals have come on the power play - that's 1/3 of the total for the entire team, which shows how important he is to the Capitals' special team production.
For those of you new to the online voting, you can vote as many times as you want - write-ins are at the bottom of the ballot, and you can't miss Zubrus...he's the last name on the Eastern write-in list. (While you're at it, don't forget about Ovie and Olie!!)
So now you have the facts - what are you waiting for? Go vote!