Thursday, March 29, 2007

Gameday Preview: Caps vs Panth...Aw, Never Mind

I'm throwing in the towel.

Not on the team. Not on gameday previews. But on gameday previews on this team when they take on the Panthers. I slave over a hot stove keyboard all night and this is the thanks I get?

Let's recap...

Game 1: Things started out well, with the Caps beating the Panthers 5-2 in the first meeting of the season. We all were walking around on cloud 9, remember? Pffft, we can beat the Panthers! Last year was a fluke!

Game 2: The euphoria continued with another decisive win for the Caps, who took a 4-1 victory and a 2-0 series lead. Everything was good. We were happy.

*SIGH* And then...

Game 3: Oh, lordy. 54 shots, a goalie change, and 7 goals (including a hat trick) later, the Caps are searching through the rubble for their dignity. "I swear, I had it when we left the hotel this morning..."

Game 4: A penalty-filled, sleep-inducing mess of a game. I guess they were still looking for that pesky dignity. Clearly it wasn't in the penalty box.

Game 5: The third Caps loss at the hands of the Panthers in 19 days included more penalties, 18 between the two teams - including 2 by Kolzig. The Cats went three for six with the extra man and the Caps limped out of Sunrise, Florida with yet another loss.

Game 6: The first game after the trade deadline is always a weird one. The Caps fell behind early but charged back and forced a shootout...where of course they lost. Did I mention the Panthers had yet to win in the shootout? Ah, but enter the Caps, the cure for all that ails you.

I'm not even going to try and figure out the logic behind this pain in the rear Panthers' team. There are just some teams that continuously dominate other teams over certain periods of time (see Penguins, Pittsburgh) and clearly the Panthers are reveling in their moment in the sun. The Caps and Panthers meet twice more before the end of the season thanks to some joker in the scheduling department.


Now would be a good time for the Caps to shake off that yoke of shame and embrace the spoiler role - 'cause don't look now, but the Panthers aren't dead yet.

Almost. But not yet. Let's make it happen, shall we?

---------------------

In other news, I need to point out my shiny new digs over at Southeast Shootout, beginning today! I'm just starting out, so naturally I want to be able to brag about a meaningless win over our precious division rivals right away. You know, make friends :)

Be sure to stop by and say hello, fling a little mud (all in good fun, of course)...and convince me that I'm not horribly outclassed by my SeSo compatriots!

No comments: