Saturday, September 22, 2007

Truly Comcast-ic

Once again a big thanks to one of my super junior reporters in the field, Chris, for pointing out something truly remarkable that will be taking place starting October 1. Comcast Sportsnet, the channel founded to drool over the Redskins and ignore the Caps, is actually putting on a bit of fanfare to herald the start of the Washington Capitals' 2007-08 season.

We begin 4 whole days before the actual season opener with a special half hour season preview edition of SportsNite talking only about the Caps.

But the madness doesn't end there, folks.

That very same night we are then treated to what CSN is calling a "Caps Classic" game from 7:30 to 9:30. What exactly is considered a "classic" remains to be seen, but if its a game from the last season or two I'd say your options are pretty limited. Place your bets.

Think that's a lot of hockey for lil' CSN? Wait, there's still more!! Immediately following the classic game we will have the privilege of watching something called "Caps Speak: A Hockey Roundtable". I...don't really know what that is but I like the sound of it already.

And then we do it all over again Tuesday. (Two Caps Classic games? I didn't know that many existed, but okay.)

Sure, the cynic in me is grumbling that this is still less coverage than the 'Skins get when Clinton Portis sneezes and in hockey towns they've had this kind of coverage for weeks...but this is DC. I'll take what I can get, and frankly this is more than we've had in a long time. It's fantastic - if you ever needed a sign that there's a buzz around this team, this is it.

I for one will be setting the DVR, absorbing as much season preview goodness as possible until the main event: Friday, Caps, Thrashers, season opener...

Maybe it's just the cold medicine/caffeine buzz I've got going, but I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Boltsfan said...

Guess what??? I created my own blog!! :) hahaha i'm so bad at this right now. I might have to ask you for help since you're an expert =D