Wednesday, September 05, 2007

More Offseason News and Updates

- Check out Ovechkin's thoughts on the Super Series over at Dump and Chase. From the sounds of it this series, which could have been a great opportunity to encourage better relations worldwide, seems to be causing more tension between Canadian and Russian hockey. Sad, really.

- Montreal will retire two more numbers this season - Larry Robinson and Bob Gainey, 19 and 23 respectively. Not that those two don't deserve the honor, but this is getting a little ridiculous. I think this says it all:
- And finally, I'm sure many of you have heard that the goal judges in many arenas will be moved up to the concourse level, allowing for more seats and therefore more ticket revenues. I have it from a source with ties to the organization that the Caps will be one of those teams making the change. The goal judges will wait for the signal from the refs before turning on the goal light and the Caps get four more potential ticketholders in prime seats.

It's funny, the goal judge has always seemed like kind of an odd phenomenon to me. A little old man in a glass box who turns on a light, and that is his only job. How many times have we seen one with an itchy trigger finger, sending the arena into hysterics only to have the mood completely deflated when the "no goal" indication is given by the ref? I can't say this is necessarily a bad change...although it will look odd to go into Verizon center and not see them behind the net. I guess change is inevitable, though, right?

6 comments:

Kevin said...

How come, if they can put a sensor in the puck that makes it light up like an oversized beach ball on television, they can't create some sort of sensor that automatically lights the lamp when a puck crosses the goal line and eliminate the need for a goal judge (and, by extension, human error) altogether?

CapsChick said...

What have I told you about using logic? There is no logic in the NHL, you know that by now. Geez.

Chris & Sarah said...

Blue pass, red shoot. Oh the horror!!! Oh the humanity!!!

Just another travesty foisted upon hockey fans. And now this.

Call me crazy, but I like the human element being left in. It makes the game more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Goal Judge has always been my dream retirement job... Imagine - getting to spend my evenings sitting in a little box directly behind a goal watching hockey, and my only obligation would be to press a button when I saw the puck cross the goal line. As for what the fans would think of me, I'm not the sort of person who is inclined to give a crap.

...but I'm only 26, and by the time I hit retirement age the job will probably have been taken over by sensors and a few clever lines of code. Ah well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, they can't start in with the fun numbers... they're honing in on our roller derby turf if they do that.

Victor said...

Smitty, I get the feeling if you're not a goal judge now, you'll not get the chance. That seems like one of those jobs that you just don't give up, as long as your seeing-eye dog can still flip the switch, and when you finally do give it up, you pass it down to your son...or grandson...or great-grandson...
:)