Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bonds Makes History

I happened to flip to the Nationals-Giants game just now and, as luck would have it, I tuned in just in time to see Barry Bonds smash his 756th career home run to surpass Hank Aaron's longtime record.

It is a huge accomplishment, yet it is one that will be in the history books with an asterisk. It has nothing to do with hockey and perhaps very little to do with baseball - but you have to wonder, in a stadium full of screaming fans and flashbulbs, what the reaction would have been had this mark not been achieved under the shadow of controversy. No one will remember the pitcher who gave up the run and I'm sure few (except Nats fans, of course) will even remember what team it was scored against. What people will remember is that Bonds' record will be held up to speculation as to the fairness of how that goal was achieved.

People will have plenty of time to talk about that over the coming days, weeks and years. For now though, I have to let the sports fan in me appreciate the achievement and give in to the sight of a tearful Bonds watching a special message from Aaron himself and thanking his fans.

It almost makes me happy for him. So congrats, Barry...I guess.

No comments: