Let's go ahead and call this what it is - an absolute must-win. Of course, the majority of the games between now and the end of the year all seem to be must-win. The Caps may not be getting help from anyone in the conference, but they certainly can't make the playoffs or even hope to contend for a spot if they don't at least start winning a few, string a couple of games together, rack up those points.
Still, this is like playing the Flyers of the Western Conference right now, albeit in slightly prettier colors. If the Caps play their game (with a little extra defense on the side per the last few games) they should take this one easily. Besides the loss of two points, a loss to a lesser opponent like this, as rare as they may be, can be demoralizing to the team...and the fans.
That being said, this is not one to overlook by any stretch of the imagination. This is one of those that the Caps can win, but underestimating their opponent could cost them dearly as the Panthers recently learned.
...7-0. I'm still laughing about that one.
You may have noticed I'm departing from my usual GDP format, no nicknames, etc. It's not laziness, I swear.
Okay, it's not just laziness.
It's simply hard to get amped up for a game like this even if I do expect a win...plus my brain decided to take a hiatus last night without informing me beforehand. Believe me, everyone's better off without the nicknames this time around. I would have resorted to such mature, relevant and thought-provoking names as Steve "Buttmunch" Eminger, and then no one's happy.
Especially not Eminger.
Saturday night's game against the Rangers is a different story. I shouldn't look past the Kings game to that one, I know it, but it's too late. I'm already excited for what I hope will be a great game, and I'll be there with what I expect to be a big and boisterous crowd.
So in honor of this season's FINAL Return of Jagr, I'm implementing the first ever...
Here's how to enter:
- Send me your best nickname between now and tomorrow night, 10:00 pm EST.
- You can pick any player on the Caps or the Rangers - just be creative! Trust me, if I can do it anyone can...
- Submissions can be sent via e-mail to capsfan82 at hotmail dot com or by AIM to DCCapsChick27. [Please Note: AIM submissions will be available after 6:00 pm tonight.]
- Enter as many nicknames as you want, there's no limit.
- The best one (as selected by me, the queen of all things) will be featured in Saturday's gameday preview. The winner will also receive a fabulous prize to be determined at a later date.
So there you have it - the challenge has been extended, the gauntlet thrown, the proverbial starters pistol fired...start brainstorming!