Thursday, October 26, 2006

Caps Roll Over Avs, 5-3

What a great way to start this road trip!

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised that I could watch the entire game without having to cover my eyes once. (Okay, maybe I had them covered a little during the 2-minute 5-on-3 in the first period. Seriously, can they stop doing that soon??) Last night’s game against the Avs was a great team performance that seemed to have everything.

A penalty shot (that was missed). A milestone point (unfortunately for the other team, but Sakic’s a good guy). Offensive production (yes! That one was in our favor.) And five goals from five different players is always a good thing.

Special teams continued to improve, as the Caps only took seven penalties in the game and allowed only one PPG – Andrew Brunette’s second of the night with less than 3 minutes remaining and the goalie pulled. They even capitalized on one of their three power play chances. Overall penalty killing was sharp and aggressive, with a few scary moments but nothing too out of control. I’d like to see more shots on goal during power plays, but at least they scored and there were only three chances. No need to be too picky, right?

I am loving the fact that I can barely single out individual performances to comment on – last night’s game was even more of a team game than the last win I witnessed over Carolina. If I was euphoric after that game, last night’s game would make me...well, whatever is better than euphoric. Elated. Overjoyed. Exhausted (I hate west coast games).

Olie Kolzig was by far the best player on the ice, making not only the standard saves but throwing in a few dazzling ones as well and turning away 45 of 48 shots. Mike Green’s goal was truly a beautiful sight. Richard Zednik had one of his best performances of the season, getting some odd-man breaks, making good passes, and (gasp!) forechecking. Kris Beech continued to impress, Donald Brashear had some very good shifts, Brian Sutherby played a strong game...can’t name them all, I’ll run out of room.

And let’s not forget our two Alexes – one with an assist to continue his point-scoring streak, the other with a goal and a broken pane of glass. All in a day’s work.

All in all, I can’t think of a better way to start this road swing. Next stop is Vancouver Friday night where we get reacquainted with our good friend Roberto Luongo, followed by a Hockey Night in Canada as the Caps take on the Edmonton Oilers.


Ah, HNIC, how I miss you - I can hear the theme music now...

No comments: