Who: Your Nation's Capitals vs. New York Rangers
Where: Madison Square Garden
7th Ave & 32nd Street
New York, NY 10001
When: Thursday, October 5, 2006, 7:00 pm
...once again there seems to be a lack of media coverage specific to individual games, as people are still doing their season preview articles. This should change as the season actually gets underway. I hope.
Broadcast Information: Comcast Sportsnet; WTEM 980; MSG
2005-2006 Season Series: Washington 2-1-0-1, New York 2-2-0-0
Last Game: 3/16 in New York, Caps lost 5-4
- Jagr scored the game-winning goal in the third period to snap a six-game losing streak, a season worst for the Rags. Fellow former Cap Michael Nylander had three assists on the night. Earlier in the game Jagr had yelled at his teammates to step it up after they allowed two goals to blow the lead. Ah, the irony...
- The Caps outshot the Rangers 40-27 and had a goal disallowed with less than 9 minutes remaining in the game.
- 3 of the 5 goals scored by the blueshirts came on the power play.
Things to Watch For:
- I'm running out of ways to say it - the Caps absolutely must stay out of the penalty box. Sure, penalty killing is improving (as it should, with all the practice) but the best penalty killers in the league will have a hard time when down 2 men every night.
- Hanlon is apparently tinkering with the idea of dressing 11 forwards and 7 defenseman to free up more ice time for Ovie, Semin, Ovie, Zednik, Ovie, Zubrus...you get the idea.
- Eminger scored his very first NHL goal against the Rangers, and two of his four goals total have come against the blueshirts. The other two came against the Isles and the Sabres - someone's in a NY state of mind...
8-Alex "the Gr8" Ovechkin, 9-Dainius "Phone Buddy" Zubrus, 20-Richard "Boomerang" Zednik
28-Alex "the Missing Link" Semin, 24-Kris "Life's a" Beech, 17-Chris "Big C" Clark
21-Brooks "What's Not to" Laich, 16-Brian "K.O." Sutherby, 22-Rico "Suave" Fata
87-Donald "Lamborghini Man" Brashear, 15-Boyd "Flash" Gordon, 38-Jakub "Surprise! I'm Still Here!" Klepis
2-Brian "DC>Ottawa" Pothier, 26-Shaone "Rising Star" Morrisonn
27-Ben "DC Diva" Clymer, 44-Steve "I Heart NY" Eminger
6-Jamie "the Journeyman" Heward, 52-Mike "Babyface" Green
37-Olie "the Captain" Kolzig
14-Brendan Shanahan, 92-Michael Nylander, 68-Jaromir "the Cheerleader" Jagr
25-Peter Prucha, 82-Martin "Jagr's Lapdog" Straka, 18-Adam Hall
10-Nigel Dawes, 5-Matt Cullen, 16-Jason Ward
44-Ryan Hollweg, 19-Blair Betts, 28-Colton Orr
3-Michal Roszival, 8-Marek "the Showoff" Malik
4-Aaron "What the Hell Was I Doing in NC??" Ward, 51-Fedor "Rootin" Tyutin
6-Darius "A Nasty Case of" Kasparaitis, 23-Karel "No, Not Carol" Rachunek
30-Henrik "Pretty Boy" Lundqvist